Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Review of 'To Tame the Wind'



To Tame the Wind is set on the ports of the English Channel, Paris, and London during the end of the Revolutionary (or American) war in the late 1700s. It is the story of a man, Simon Powell, trying to get his ship and crew back by abducting a pirate's daughter, Claire Donet. It is a story of honor and pirate ship battles, but not for high treasure; instead for the love of people. For Simon, he is fighting for his crew. For Jean Donet it is for his daughter and the release of American war prisoners. It is also a story of spies, and desperately wanting peace after a long expensive war. Finally it is about love and loyalty between two waring factions, and learning friendship is actually possible.

Regan Walker wrote the best romance novel I have read in recent years. Besides not finding one tiny error, she wrote a fascinating, engaging, historically accurate romance. Claire was feisty and yet kind and gentle. Simon was honorable. The engagement between British, French, and Americans tweaked my history soul in my favorite era. Seeing the Revolutionary war from the perspective of the European side with the dynamics ribboning through out the story kept my curiosity going. I loved seeing real historical figures interacting with the characters in the story. The passionate play between Claire and Simon was more than just physical it was innate to their being. Excellent descriptions of ports, smells, sights, sounds, motion on the ships, the feel of the wind while sailing, and the song the sailors sung made me feel like I was right there watching everything happening in each scene. I could hear the accent in the dialogue of every character. That was not just one inflection, there were Irish, French, English (both normal and aristocracy), and American characters, each who had various accents and word usage. The writing was exceptional!

As much as I love a good historical romance I rarely read them because there are so many errors in their use of the time frame. That was not the case in this novel. The author used the historical influence for all the situations that came up as the time period would dictate. I was amazed. This story felt so real! And because of that I really enjoyed reading it. All of this is also why I rated it with 5 stars. To Tame the Wind deserves it!



If you are interested in reading this novel-- here is the link to it on Amazon where I purchased it:

https://www.amazon.com/Tame-Wind-Agents-Crown-Book-ebook/dp/B00VO4DZYE






No comments:

Post a Comment