Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review of Incurable by E.C. Moore



Evening view of Riverside, California
As a child I was raised in Riverside, California.  With my grandparents I traveled all over the state and saw most of the sights.  My dad was like a tour guide, and so I saw more and learned why my family loved Southern California so much.  Then at 21 I moved to the Midwest.  I only get back to the land of my childhood every few years, for 2-3 weeks.  So when I saw Incurable, and that it was
set in my childhood home state.  I grabbed the chance to read it.  I wasn't disappointed.  Below is my review.  Hope you enjoy it.



Review of Incurable by E.C. Moore


Incurable is set for the most part in Southern California. Which along with the description was what made me feel as if I needed to read it-- I was raised in Sunny Cali and have some fond memories of the places mentioned in the story. This was definitely the most different story that I have read! And not different bad! I would have to call it dramatic historical fiction-- not romance, although there were some romantic elements at times. If you like World War II era settings, you'll like Incurable. It sets up the war, and also lets you view the world after the recovery from the war.


It is the story of two friends Marilyn (Beryl) and June. The story is set during the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Each decade had its own theme and the author definitely makes use of those themes and really made me think about how much the world was changing in each perspective period. As you read, you are reading between two times, both present time (for the story) which is mid-50s, and the past.

Two beautiful teenage girls decide to leave Detroit, and go to Hollywood. You can imagine the reasons, and you better guess it doesn't turn out the way they are planning. For Marilyn it is even worse than you can imagine. For June, you are never quite sure how it really is.
June is outgoing and could do almost anything. She does do all kinds of things too!
Marilyn's more reserved, and though she is at first looking for fame, she finds another path she almost follows before she is pulled in by June on another hair-brained adventure and then another.  Devastation ensues until she finally finds a way out, and as things are looking up, sorrow shows up once more.

Incurable was fun and heart-wrenching at the same time. It was fun because most of the places I knew, and that was really a thrill after living in the Midwest for close to 25 years. But it was heart-wrenching because of the scenes that the two young women go through.

The story is an awesome tale of friendship, destruction, betrayal, recovery, and healing. It never lulls, and always keeps you trying to guess. The writing is very good, and everything holds together nicely. It was not quite a book I could read in a night (my favorite), but I did read it in two days. Finally it left me with all the questions answered and also with a good ending.


If you would like to read it, here is the link to Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Incurable-E-C-Moore-ebook/dp/B012EJJ4KG

No comments:

Post a Comment