Friday, August 9, 2013

Maxine's Story-- Brave little Maxine!


Here is the next scene in Maxine's Story.  Thought it had been awhile since I'd posted a scene.  Hope you enjoy it!


 April, 1917

     Maxine cringed as it began raining.  She was twelve.  Her mother was gone once more helping those in town. Emily had married Lowell O’Kelly and they had moved several hours away in Peoria, Illinois.  At least she knew now her sister was safe.  Maxine stood a little taller, and as she had at her sister’s wedding, decided she would be the one to keep herself safe.  Quickly she locked her door so the beast would not get in.  Could it come through a locked door?   Closing her eyes she reminded herself of the truth. 
“Please God protect me.”  She prayed silently. 
“Emily is safe now.  Help me find safety too.”  She slipped the chain that held the key to her door over her head and hid it under the dress she wore.
Suddenly the handle was jiggled.  She jumped away, ready to hide. 
“Maxine, my little Maxine.”  His voice cooed, and fear tripled her heart beat. 
“It’s a storm outside.  I’ll make it all better.”  She swallowed.
“No.”  She wasn’t going to lie anymore.  At the bible study at church where they studied scripture she learned truth.  Lying was a sin.  It would separate her from God, and she wanted desperately to be with God. 
“I will not let you hurt me.”  Martin Westing rattled the door violently. 
“If you dare to even threaten me I will tell.”  Who would she tell?  Would anyone believe her?  Still, if she was quiet how would she be safe?
“I will tell everyone.  I will tell Pastor Fleming, and Mrs. Sheldon and Mr. Sheldon.  I will talk to Victor.  You know he is my class.  I will tell Miss Jenkins, and of course Mama. I will tell…”  She named off everyone she could think of.  She wasn’t sure she would talk to all of them, but then she wasn’t sure she wouldn’t either.  One way or another she would not let him hurt her anymore.
“You wouldn’t tell on your Papa…”  She groaned. 
“Oh Yes I will!  Hurting me is a sin.  What if I told doc you cause me to bleed?  Pastor Fleming says we are suppose to do right and tell others when they are wrong!  So I am telling you, hurting me is wrong, and I will tell everyone unless you never come in my room, and stay far away from me.”
“But you are my daughter…”  He cried.
“No I am not!  I am my father’s daughter.  He will haunt you if you hurt me again!”  She quickly prayed. 
God please rouse my first father and shake Papa senseless if he ever tries to hurt me.  Make it be just like the ghosts in A Christmas Carol that I read last Christmas.  Out loud she said—
“You have to stay away from me!”
“Will you not tell anyone if I stay away from you?”
“I will not talk about it, but if you even touch me, I will tell every person I know and I won’t ever be quiet.”
“I will kill you Maxine you won’t be able to speak.”  He spoke in a beastly voice.  Fear shot through her as he yanked the door.  She had hidden all the keys as soon as her sister moved away.  Then she remembered what they had been studying in school.
“If you murder me, they will examine my body and they will see what you have done.  We studied how the police can examine bodies to see why they died.  They will see the places I bled, and they will know what you’ve done.”  He stopped rattling the door. 
“Your teacher lied to you.  No one will know.”  His voice trembled, and she knew her books didn’t lie.  Her teacher told the truth.
“Then why do you sound frightened?  You know the truth too.  Maybe tomorrow I will go jump off the bluff and kill myself so everyone will know what you have done!”
“N-No Maxine.  I will not harm you.  I will not touch you. No one shall cause you to die.”  She smiled slightly. 
“Alright, I will not jump off the bluff.”
“You can unlock your door then.”  She shook her head. 
“My door stays locked.”  And she did not back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment