Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Big gnarly scene-- CONQUERED!

Well I finished it!
Meg, Hope, and I have been editing the book for almost three weeks, and about a week ago we realized we had one BIG problem.  It was a scene I would have liked to just chop out!  It was hated by all of us!
The problem was in this story it was needed-- in fact central to the story line.  So I couldn't delete it, but we all knew it had to be altered.
On Friday Meg and I started looking at the scenes before it and seeing what we could do.  It was going well.  If we worked hard through the weekend ahh- we'd be done.  No sweat.  Let's just do it!  Then we worked all day Saturday.  We were no closer.
We worked until about five in the morning Sunday, then slept for a few hours and got back up and went back at it.  Sunday evening we took a break and I had some time with my kids-- in particular Peter was begging for a 'Mommy son date'.  So  Meg says "Mom I'll take it home and maybe I can make some changes.".  I am grateful for the reprieve, and hoping she really would get through it.  That would be great!  That is what she did, but she couldn't make any head way.  "Mom, we've got to do something-- I couldn't even deal with it!"  Meg tells me the next morning.
We literally have been stuck on this scene now for three days!  We were suppose to be printing the redline copies of the book on Monday, and now the reality is that if we really are lucky it'll be Wednesday at least!  So I have about two hours before Peter has his appointment.  I'll tackle it, Meg's watching the womb warped twins.  I reworked the beginning, and that helped, but it was still as bad and gnarly as it has been.  I started to dive into the meat of it, but just didn't want to do it.  The scene was literally making me sick.  So finally, on the way back from Peter's appointment I called Todd and asked him to give me my laptop when I got there (He had been watching Tory and Alex while I took Peter.).  Peter went inside and Todd brought out my laptop.  I picked up Meg and she and I went to Panara's, got drinks, and proceeded to tear apart the scene.  Meg says, "Mom you're not going to like this."  as she hands me back my computer.  She deleted all but a little bit.  I took a big sigh of relief.  Soon after Hope showed up and  we began recreating the scene.  It's faster paced, it's more understandable, and honestly it is more chilling by far than the first one.  This scene had to be!  It's the scene that makes the villain-- the villain!  I finished writing it this morning at about seven thirty.  It is still my most hated scene, and it was still hard to write, but at least now it's a well developed and good bad scene. I was so excited to tell everyone about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment