Monday, September 21, 2015

Review of The Ghost of You by Kristen Darling


The Ghost of You really gets you thinking how much impact parents have on their children even when their children are adults.

Kaitlyn wants love, even though, because of her childhood, she isn't sure what it looks like. She feels fragile because of panic attacks that began when she was still a teen, but she doesn't realize how strong she really is. Her past haunts her, and her present haunts her, yet she doesn't succumb to it. Each day she goes to work and she works at the relationship issues that are around her. Thank goodness for her friends, who treat her with love and kindness-- especially John and Chris.


This story is set in the present, and fifteen years before that. It is about a broken woman trying to make peace with 4 men. Her father, who she has no contact with since she was a teen; David, her long time boyfriend, who isn't exactly always the kindest to her; Luke, who is married but still pursuing her; and Chris, who is always there standing up for her and making her feel special and loved. It doesn't go the way you think it will. Although you can see what she should do, that is not what happens at any point. It is much more like real life than I would like to admit. 

 Let's face it we live in a very fallen world, and what we wish for Kaitlyn isn't exactly what happens. But watch out for the ending... Complete surprise after you've given up all hope of things going right!

Honestly, at first I didn't know what to think of this story, but it captivated me because it was so home hitting. I cheered for Kaitlyn even as I watched her life spiral. Chris was everything she needed, but she couldn't see it. Luke evoked twisted sentiments when he pushed so hard then would turn and be so kind. David just plain made me angry! --Until close to the end when I finally could see his pain. And the alcoholic father-- there wasn't any contact in the story with him, but still I came close to hating him for what he made his family go through. I understand alcoholism and what it can do to a family. I've watched in my own family of origin as it tore apart family members and created panic syndromes and other anxiety and depression disorders. What Kaitlyn suffers I have seen and Kristen Darling really portrayed it well in her writing. All together this story hit some of my own childhood baggage and really tugged at my soul, so much so I wanted to put it down and yet I kept reading because I was hoping there would be a good ending. I was not disappointed.


If you've had a traumatic childhood, you will relate to this story in ways I can't even begin to tell you!
If you haven't it is still a good story, though it will lead you in depths that are sometimes hard to deal with. It is passionate and dark at times, very filled with drama, but the love of her friends lighten it up a bit. It is full of twists, not all good.

If you would like to read this book, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ghost-You-Kristen-Darling-ebook/dp/B013HDL1GS

No comments:

Post a Comment